What pops down a chimney and out a fireplace? Santa Kitten!
These cute little kittens jumped out at me while in a Tuesday Morning store. They are on cellophane treat bags. I realized that they were the correct size for one of Karen Burniston’s interactive dies – the Pop ‘n Swap.
While I would classify this card as a prototype, what I wanted to share is to show how you can make a shallow box like structure to create a fireplace over the pop ’n swap mechanism. Watch Karen Burniston’s assembly video to learn how to put together this mechanism.
For this slimline card, I cut a piece of heavy black cardstock 8 ½ x 8 inches and scored at 4 inches and folded in half to create the card base. (The card needs to be at least 4 inches wide since the mechanism folded flat is 4 inches wide.) Next, I cut from the front top of the card base a rectangle 2 ½ x 4 inches to allow the Santa kitten to show over the chimney top.
The inside shallow box is a 5 3/4 inches tall by 4 7/8 inches wide rectangle of red cardstock. I scored at ¼ inch, 1 inch and 4 inches. (Because the mechanism is ¾ inches tall, the box side is ¾ inches deep.) All the folds are mountain folds. The narrow tab goes towards the right edge of the card while the wide tab goes towards the inside fold. I glued my mechanism in first, and then using removable tape, I played with the positioning of the box and marked with pencil its placement before removing the box. I cut the widow to show the kitten inside the fireplace, by laying the fireplace frame over the mechanism and seeing where the kitten would best show. Next, I placed a loop of removable tape on the fireplace and positioned the box back into place and got the fireplace to stick to the inside of the box. With the fireplace stuck I removed the box and traced the opening of the fireplace onto the back of the box. With a metal ruler and craft knife, I cut the opening slightly larger than the pencil marks. Now the box is ready to be permanently glued in place. Glue the kittens in place next on the mechanism arms, cutting any corners that show beyond the kittens.
For decorating of the fireplace and mantel refer to my An Old-Time Christmas post. The brick is stenciled on the chimney panel before cutting it for the front. The fireplace was stenciled once the opening was cut for the fireplace, but before the box was glued permanently in place.
I tried a new-to-me product from Cosmic Shimmer called Fluffy Stuff. It is a thick paint-like substance that you can add dimension with for snow. You use a heat gun to get it to bubble up. I tried adding it to the front of the card after I assembled the card and in the heating of the card, I ended up heating the cellophane of the top kitten which shrunk a little. My recommendation is to add the Fluffy Stuff to your front panel before it is glued on to the card so that you can heat it and left it dry for 24 hours before gluing in place. (Here is a video that shows Fluffy Stuff being demonstrated on the Beebaab Youtube channel.)
If you have read this far, I’ll let you in on a secret. There is a free down of the “Naughty or Nice” sentiment in the supplies list.
Hope this card makes you smile.
- Karen Burniston in Cahoots with Riley and Company – Pop ‘n Swap – 1133
- Gemini by Crafter’s Companion – Create-A-Card – Fireplace – Concept Die
- Gemini by Crafter’s Companion – Create-A-Card – Fireplace – Accessories Pack
- Spellbinders – Essential Labels – S5-437
- Stampers Anonymous – Tim Holtz Collection – Layering Stencil – Hocus Pocus – THS131
- Stampers Anonymous – Tim Holtz Collection- Layering Mini Stencils & Manila Tags -set TM4
- Sweet Sentiments Set from Love Cardmaking, issue 9 November 2018
- Ranger Distress Ink – Fossilized Amber
- Stampin’ Up – Classic Stampin’ Pad –Tranquil Tide
- Ranger Distress Ink – Fired Brick
- Recollections – Watercolor Crayons – white
- Colored paper scraps from stash
- Staples Printable Glitter Paper
- The Paper Studio – Black Heavyweight Cardstock Paper Pack – 8 1/2″ x 11″
- Joy Craft Mirror Cardstock
- My Mind’s Eye – Cozy Christmas – 6 x 6 Paper Pad
- Jillson Roberts -Cello Bags
- Free PDF file of my “Naughty or Nice” sentiment
- Cosmic Shimmer Acrylic Glue
- Scrapebook.com Clear Double Sided Adhesive Roll ¼ inch
- Cosmic Shimmer – Fluffy Stuff
- Red grosgrain ribbon from stash
© Sue Small-Kreider 2020