Celebrating Mother with May flowers is a tradition. I was happy to see that Anna Griffin’s new teacup die set includes the ability to emboss flowers onto the edges and side of the cup and saucer.
This was my first try at using the new die set as well as some of Anna’s sentiment stamps. The teacup goes together easily following the enclosed instructions. I embossed the cup and saucer first using an embossing mat/plate and then die cut all the pieces.
By using a preprinted card base from a card kit by Punch Studio that has been in my stash for a while, along with some of the butterfly toppers and pink flatback gems, the front of the card came together quickly. The inside paper is from Graphic 45. I cut two pieces so as not to cover the fold and used a green marker to color the inside edges of the card as a border to the floral paper.
I ended up heat embossing the decorative border on the gold metallic sentiment base with clear embossing powder. I learned that the metallic card I used is heat sensitive and had a minor curling effect happen.
To fill the cup I used flower embellishments from Anna Griffin as well. This vintage teacup card is perfect for celebrating Mother’s Day.
Wishing all mothers, a Happy Mother’s Day.
I kept dreaming about making this card using a lacy ribbon die and some rose paper that I had in my stash. I had watched Jennifer McGuire’s See-Through Shaker Cards video and was inspired to use some new glitter I had acquired. And Mother’s Day in the UK was being talked about on Craftworld.com. This card comes from all these inputs (and probably a few subconscious ones too.)
I took a card base folded it on the score line and placed a sample of the Joanna Sheen scalloped lace and marked out where I wanted the shaker openings to be. I then trimmed out the interior of the paper lace where the shakers were to be. Next, I cut the circles into both layers of the card. If I had to do it over again, I would have made a template to mark all my papers where the circle cuts are. I also would have made my patterned cardstock the card base.
Because the glitter is very clingy with static to the acetate, I decide to use this quality in my design and my shakers are only the thickness of some recycled cardboard box cut into a square and the circle die-cut out. I adhered a strip of acetate to the inside of the back panel of card base with double-sided tape. The cardboard squares were glued to back of card over the circle openings. With the card on a flat surface I put pinches of glitter into the cardboard circles and then added glue to edges of cardboard and dropped a square of acetate over each cardboard square to seal up the shaker. (If I had it to do over, I would have used the temple to mark out the cardboard and make it one long panel instead of squares.)
Next, I traced as best I could the shaker circles onto the back side of the two outer printed cardstock panels and the two inner patterned paper pieces. With printed sides place together and taped with removable tape, I cut both outer panels together. Repeated the same process with inner pattern paper. Using double-sided tape and a few drops of glue, I adhered the outer panels and the inner papers lining up all the shaker holes. To hide the small gaps, I die cut four strips of scalloped lace from thin white paper using an un-named die by Joanna Sheen in my stash. There are five circles in the lace, I cut out the top, middle and bottom inner circles to correspond with the shaker circles. I glued the four lace pieces over the inner and outer panels’ circles.
The front of the card has a die cut scalloped oval with “Happy Mother’s Day” die cut from a recycled chocolate’s box. A multi-looped button is from tiny grosgrain red ribbon from my stash.
- 1/4 inch clear double-sided tape