It’s Christmas Eve and the candles are lit in the windows to welcome Santa. This is the second house card in my series of the 12 Houses of Christmas using Poppy Stamps 2020 Winter House Pop-Up Easel die set.
The house goes together easily by looking at the photos on the Poppy Stamps packaging. It does involve a lot of die cutting as there is only one die of each window type. (I cut lots of the small pieces and store the extras in a tiny plastic bags that I keep with the die set.) To add depth to the porch and dormer windows I cut those pieces twice and glued together. The snowy pieces are cut from glitter paper and some of the window frames and siding have Nuvo Glitter Drops used thinly to give the illusion of melted snow.
Papers Used: The house is cut from Bazzill heavy card stock in a 2014 color of Gold Coin. The dark blue, red and pale yellow come from monotone color packs of cardstock by Recollections. Note that there is a dark blue outline layer of the house that provides the window inside color as well as framing the outside edge of the house.
I masked off the front door with sticky notes and used Walnut Stain Distress ink to darken the door and frame. A tiny drop of gold Nuvo Crystal Drops for the doorknob (which wasn’t put on yet in the photo) and a wreath made from green scraps and a piece of red embroidery floss, complete the door. Greenery was cut from food boxes to get the thickness using a greenery die by Christina Griffiths and snipped into smaller pieces and glued to a wreath shape cut freehand.
The windows all have tiny white candles cut from a thin white scrap and flames are cut from an orange envelope in my stash. I used the appropriately named Candlelight – Spectrum Noir Sparkle Glitter Ink to put a dot of glow behind each candle on the dark blue layer.
I stamped Santa Sleigh on white cardstock and colored with colored pencils. I cut a strip of clear plastic packaging to sandwich between Santa and another piece of white cardstock. Before I glued the strip, laid-out the position of the house, Santa and the plastic strip on a slimline envelope to make sure all would fit inside the envelope.
Other than having to trim a bit off each side of the eaves on the white card base, all fit.
I made pencil marks to note where the plastic would go on the backsides of the dark blue layer and Santa. The plastic is sandwiched between the blue layer of the house and the white card base layers.
The welcome mat, which acts as the easel stop, was stamped and heat embossed using a stamp from a retired Stampin’ Up set. I used a blend of Ranger Black Sparkle and Recollections Ebony Detail Embossing powders that give the welcome mat a snowy sparkle. Once heat embossed, the mat was weathered using Antique Linen Distress Ink on a sponge dauber and cut out with the coordinating die. Foam pads where used to adhere the mat to card and make it tall enough to act as an easel stop.
The ”Merry Christmas” is cut from heavy black cardstock glued down. A personal message can be written behind the house
The envelope was stamped in read on cream envelope using vintage Disney stamps.
- Poppy Stamps -Winter House Pop-Up Easel Set – 2394
- Greenery – “Card Making Magic” by Christina Griffiths from Die-cutting Essentials Issue 37
- Card Deco Essentials – Merry Christmas – CDECD0003
- Stampin’ Up – At Home with You – stamps & die set 143681 (Retired)
- Spellbinders – Santa Sleigh 3D Shading Rubber Stamp – DSW-207
- Disney Vintage Micky Mouse & Friends A6 Stamp
- Heavy White Cardstock 110# weight 8 ½ x 11 inches
- Bazzill – 8.5×11 inch acid free cardstock -Gold Coins – 4-483
- Recollections – 8.5x 11 inch cardstock – Shades of Red
- Recollections – 8.5×11 inch cardstock – Citrus
- Reflections – 8.5×11 inch cardstock – Cape Cod
- Heavy Black Cardstock 80# weight 8 ½ x 11 inches
- Staples Printable Glitter Paper
- Glossy green scraps from food boxes/packaging
- Green and yellow cardstock scraps from my stash
- Cream #10 envelope from my stash
- VersaMark – Watermark Stamp Pad
- Ranger -Embossing Powder – Black Sparkle
- Recollections Detail Embossing Power- Ebony
- Ranger – Distress Ink – Walnut Stain
- Ranger – Distress Ink – Antique Linen
- Spectrum Noir Sparkle Glitter Ink – Candlelight
- Crayola Colored Pencils
- Stampin’ Up Classic Stamin’ Pad – Real Red
- Memento – Tuxedo Black ink pad