“You’re not getting older, you’re getting better” was the inspiration for this anniversary card for a “better” couple. I used one of my favorite Spellbinder’s die set – Sunday Drive along with one of it’s add-on sets – Sunday Sunset Drive.
To create the rainbow oval I hot foiled the Spellbinder’s Essential Glimmer Ovals and then the sentiment above from a Spellbinders Glimmer of the Month sentiment set. (Spellbinders has great clubs of the month that get you the newest dies/glimmer plates before they are released to the general public and/or get sold out, plus discounts on other products like the Journey Platinum and Sapphire Mini die cutting machines that I use. The Mini I got for 75% off.)
The heart and star are some die cuts that have been in my stash for years most like cut from punches and junk mail.
To assemble the car and passengers I looked at the pictures on the packaging, but you could watch an assembly video too. The License plate was cut from white glitter paper. The taillights are Nuvo Glow Drops Neon – Shocking Pink and silver matte cardstock. I used Watercolor pencils on the passengers’ skin and hair. I added the yellow ribbon scarf to create the illusion of motion following the direction of the woman’s hair. (I was also thinking of an old Audrey Hepburn movie of her in a small sports car with a scarf blowing in the wind.)
Because I don’t own matching glimmer plate or stamp that would compliment the typeface of the front sentiment, I used die cut letters from gold mirror card and another of the license plates from the Sunday Sunset Drive set.
As is my style I stamped the back of the envelope with a hint of what is inside using an older BoBunny hearts stamp in red.
This card feels like one a husband might give to his wife as they near retirement.
After 63 years of marriage and numerous fishing and mountain trips, I knew this couple deserved a special anniversary card that evoked all the things they love.
Hunkydory’s Moments in Time “Love is In the Air” die set and matching paper pad had the perfect pop-up card with a pond, mountains, hot air balloons and a couple taking it all in siting at the edge of the pond. The die took a couple of passes through a die cutting machine and then the tricky part of working all the folds. This die is one of the less intricate dies in the Moments in Time series but using a paper piercing tool helped with shaping all the trees on the mountains and puffing out the clouds. There is an instruction sheet on the Hunkydory’s website that is useful when doing the folding.
The front of the card’s paper and label topper came from the “Flying High” Craftwork Cards paper collection. “On Your Special Day” die cut sentiment is from Creative Dies by Sue Wilson and the jumping trout is from Stampin’Up’s “Best Catch” stamp set stamped in brown ink and fussy cut and adhered with foam pads.
The inside “Happy Anniversary” sentiment was cut from two die sets in the Gemini Expressions series by Crafter’s Companion. The additional bird on flower and best wishes banner came from the aforementioned “Flying High” paper collection. The back side of the card is finished with more of the paper from the front.
The front and back flap of the envelop are stamped with images that give a hint of what the card is inside.
Sending heartfelt sentiments to a couple who have been married for over 62 years, can be tricky. You don’t want a card to be too feminine or too masculine. You want it to reflect both of their interests and tastes.
This card was created using Karen Burniston’s Frame Pull Pop-up die. Since this would be my first time using this die, I cut a set of practice pieces from white cardstock so I can make mistakes without messing-up the printed paper. This is a practice I am starting to do with more of my KB die sets and storing the practice cards with the die sets for future reference. (I also store my extra cuts and spare pies in tiny plastic bags and keep with the set as well.)
After watching Karen Burniston’s assembly video again, I made my practice card and then started playing with designing the card. Since the couple the card is for live in Pennsylvania where folk art is big, I thought about trying to a scherenschnitte (cut paper) or fraktur (hand-lettered and painted) card, but my time was limited. So, I looked for printed papers that would have the colors and geometric shapes that are popular with the aforementioned art forms. In going through my paper stash, I came across my tiny bags of shapes cut from junk mail using small paper punches. This was a huge time saver, but it meant I needed to change up some of my papers I had planned to use because I found a beautiful heart that was graduated from light to dark as if it had been distressed with ink.
I had new Gemini sentiment dies that I when attempted to cut from heavy black card stock, I found I had to sandwich the cardstock and die between a folded sheet of wax paper to get enough pressure to cut the words out of the heavy cardstock. (My spouse added the dot to the “i” with a fine-tipped marker since I lost the dot on my worktable.)
Assembly time: Having the practice card to refer to, was a mistake saver. I referred to it often to find the glue points that make the card function. While I tried to follow KB’s tip to not glue the top edge of the front mat to the working edge of the from cover as it needs to be flexible, I forgot. The cover pops up stiffly. (FOLLOW KB’s tip! Don’t over embellish the cover or the inside of the pop-up.)