This is a holiday card for a busy Santa. It features the Bam Box dies from Karen Burniston’s December 2022 release. It also uses previously released die sets of the Fireplace Pop-up die set, Fireplace Extras 1, Fireplace Extras 2, Gnome and Santa, Slim Frames and Family Room die set.
Card Base: The card base is an A7 size (5 x 7 inches) with a top fold. The base was what I glued decorative papers to as well as attaching the fireplace pop-up mechanism.
Bam Box: The bam box is a rubber band powered spring box that allows the sofa to pop-up. Watch the assembly video before assembling. Heavy weight cardstock is recommended and allowing glue to dry at each step will make for the best working bam box.
Chair: A bam box is covered with the chair from the Family Room die set. The back of the chair is just the seat portion left flat. I cut a bam box decorative rectangle to cover the front base of the chair and hid the bam box. The pillow is attached as per assembly video directions. Santa is made from the Gnome and Santa set coloring the boots to look like socks and adding a pair of pants so his legs can stretch out onto the ottoman. Santa is glued to the pillow and his pants are glued to the Santa suit edge. The ottoman is just a bam box covered with decorative paper. (I originally was going to have a sofa in the scene as well, but decided on a chair and ottoman foot rest. The photos below depict the sofa assembly. The chair is made similarly.)
Fireplace and accessories: For the fireplace cut two of the fireplace brick front – one in white and one in black as well as two of the lined mantle/hearth pieces – one white and one gray. The black brick is colored with a white crayon and the fire and logs are also cut twice and colored with watercolor pencils.
To assemble the fireplace, watch the assembly video first. You will need to attach the gray hearth and black brick pieces to the card base before adding the mechanism. There are two fireplace extra sets. I used the clock, fireplace fender and basket of logs from set 2 and the fireplace tools and candles from set 1. The tiny pop-up mechanisms for the objects on top of the mantel are from the fireplace die set. I also add strips of white cardstock to the wall on either side of the fireplace as floor moldings.
Rugs and Wall Decoration: Using patterned papers that suggest wallpaper or carpeting make this type of card pop. The picture molding strip above the fireplace is a scrap trimmed off the patterned paper and the reverse side used. Slim Frames is the die set that the gold frame comes from while “Happy Boxing Day” and the calendar page are computer generated. The large green round rug is cut from the second largest circle crosshatch die. It can be used to write a personal message.
Card Front: The card front uses a mat of silver glitter paper overlayed with the snowflake pattern plate cut from white handmade paper that has silver glitter swirls on it. The Holiday House is cut from papers used on the inside of the card. “SANTA” has been written on the door mat to hint at who is inside the card. “Happy Holidays” was cut three times with the top layer colored with silver gel pen.
Envelope: The back flap of the A7 brown kraft paper envelope has Santa’s sleigh and reindeer stamped in white to hint at what’s to come.
Thank you for reading this blog post. Please like and leave comments 😊
- Karen Burniston in cahoots with Riley and Company – Bam Box -1222
- Karen Burniston in cahoots with Riley and Company – Fireplace Extras 2 – 1212
- Karen Burniston in cahoots with Riley and Company – Fireplace Extras 1 – 1211
- Karen Burniston in cahoots with Riley and Company – Fireplace Pop-Up – 1210
- Karen Burniston in cahoots with Riley and Company – Slim Frames – 1150
- Karen Burniston in cahoots with Riley and Company – Pattern Plate – Snowflakes – 1148
- Karen Burniston in cahoots with Riley and Company – Holiday House – 1144
- Karen Burniston in cahoots with Riley and Company – Gnome and Santa – 1129
- Karen Burniston in cahoots with Riley and Company – Family Room Pop-Up – 1099
- Karen Burniston in cahoots with Riley and Company – Circle – Crosshatch – 1057
- Karen Burniston in cahoots with Riley and Company – Word Set 3 – Holiday – 1022
- Echo Park Paper Co. – 12 x12 Double-sided coated cardstock – A Perfect Christmas by Lori Whitlock – Berry Merry Christmas – APC135003
- Echo Park Paper Co. – 12 x12 Double-sided coated cardstock – I Love Christmas by Lori Whitlock – Glad Tidings – ILC114009
- American Crafts – The Color of memories 12 x12 Red Plaid Paper – 348968
- Recollections – Signature Especial 12×12 Foil Paper – Silver Glitter -220520
- White Glitter Handmade Paper
- Colored scraps of cardstock
- A7 Kraft Card and Envelope
Pens, Crayons & Inks
- Pink, Red and Black Fine-Tipped Markers
- Ranger – Tim Holtz – Distress Ink – Walnut Stain
- Ranger – Tim Holtz – Distress Crayon – White
- Simon Says Stamp – Premium Pigment Ink – White
- LeCrea Design by Leane de Graaf – Combi Stamps – Santa & Small Christmas Trees – 55.3707
- Neutral PH Adhesive by LINECO
- Fine-Tip Glue Bottle
- Die Cutting Machine
- Pokey Tool
- Sponge Dauber
- Craft Mat
- Computer and Color Printer
- Stamping Platform