For the next four days I have a mini chair series focusing on a pop-up chair die by Karen Burniston.
Today’s chair uses the Adirondack Chair Pop-Up with a slip cover to make it into a big overstuffed chair, perfect for cats to nap in! You can access this post and the ones in this week’s seasonal chair posts below as they become live posts.
Children’s Christmas pageants that re-enact the birth of the Christ child are the theme of these quickly made decoupaged pop-up cards.
In less than two hours I was able to make these cute cards using Craft Consortium’s Nativity collection designed by Hetz Cuppleditch. Using the 10 sheets of the pre-cut decoupaged scenes which are labeled with the layer number for each piece it is super simple to glue up these scenes matching pieces to the layer below. (You could use foam pads, but if you plan to mail these cards in the USA, you will pay extra postage because of the thickness.)
The box-like stage is created by using the Hunkydory Final Shadow Box die set using the largest of the rectangular window dies to cut from the double-sided paper also from the Craft Consortium Nativity collection. The back of the stage is cut from scrap packaging with the “Joy to the World” die cut from a purple scrap envelope (or sentiments from old Christmas cards).
An old Kaisercraft sentiment stamp set was used to stamp the back flaps of the envelopes for these cards to foretell what is inside.
Thank you for reading about these cards. Please hit the like button or leave a comment.
Love this little black cat three-layer stamp by Kat Scrapiness that comes with some great sentiments like the Toil and Trouble one that gives it, its name. I had purchased the Pop-Out die and the Gina Marie Designs Mosaic Triangle Edge Circle dies along with The Toil & Trouble stamp and matching die set all during Kat Scrapiness’ Labor Day sale. I hadn’t planned on combining them, but the more I looked and dreamed about the “Double, double, toil and trouble; fire burn and cauldron bubble” I saw a bubbling, steaming cauldron with the steam opening up into an aerial view of a shaker card showing of the cauldron’s contents.
I found in my stash the fabulous Buttons Galore & More’s Creepy Sparkleletz shaker elements to which I added some green and iridescent sequins and the tiny black and green triangles off-cuts from the mosaic circle frames I cut for the cauldron.
The background of the shaker cauldron is a lime green square of cardstock that I daubed Cracked Pistachio and Fired Brick Distress inks and then spritzed with water to blend. I dried and stamped with Versamark Watermark ink an older bubble background stamp by Hunkydory. The final touch to the background was to stamp “BOO” in the center of the square.
To create the white steam of the cauldron, I took cream cardstock and stamped in grey ink the same bubble background mentioned earlier. Next, I embossed the cardstock using an older Darice embossing folder. (I may have used one too many shims when I embossed, as it almost cut through the card in places.) I centered and taped the Pop-Out die inside the circle die and then die-cut, in one pass, the circle of steam that opens in six triangles to reveal the cauldron’s shaker contents. I free-hand cut a spoon handle that is used to open-up the steam or “stir the pot.”
I tried several inks to stamp the cat but ended up using the cat with just black ink – having lightly stamped each layer to create the shadows. The sentiments, both inside and on the front, are first stamped with the bubble stamp in grey ink then the sentiment in black Memento ink. (I was not paying attention to which ink I was putting on the inside as I moved the background stamp around and inadvertently used the black Memento at the bottom section.)
To finish off the card front, I used a retired Taylored Expressions “Little Bits” spider web die set to cut from vellum the corner decorations including a tiny black spider. I found a bit of spider ribbon that leads the reader to the sentiment.
As it is my style to stamp an image or sentiment that hints at what’s inside, I stamped a witches’ hat (because I have no cauldron stamp) and the phrase “The most Spooktacular night of the year” on the envelope flap. These stamps are from My Mind’s Eye.
To send the card, I will add a hand-written note instructing the recipient “To stir the cauldron using the black handled sticking out of the steam to find out what’s shake’n.”
First there are two fish. Then there is one fish. then there is a cat’s face watching intently.
Did the cat do anything beyond watching? What do you think happened?
The cat’s face has a slit at the top and bottom so that it can slip off the pivot points and be signed or a greeting added. I used Grafix Dura-Lar .005 Clear Film, an archival polyester film to die cut 3 of the accordion sections. I then die cut 6 of the blue cardstock accordion sections and then all the fish and greenery pieces. I used a combination of Tombow Aqua Mono Liquid Glue for around the blue oval frames because I could easily clean-up any messes with a damp paper towel. I used Tombow Multi Mono Liquid Glue for adhering the blue frames to the clear film because it needed to be a strong adherence for a sturdy frame.
Cats pop-up everywhere and this card is no exception. The inspiration for this card comes from Juliet and Romeo the two cats who live with the recipient of this card. The overstuffed chair is one that has been passed down in her family and a favorite of Romeo to curl up and sleep.