Queen Victoria and Prince Albert are credited with popularizing the idea that families need evergreen trees adorned with babbles and sweet treats at Christmas. This fold-out parlor card is in that tradition.
Christmas Tree: The tree frame and pop-up mechanism were made using Karen Burniston’s Christmas tree pop-up die set. I embossed thin copier paper with the saucer die from Karen Burniston’s Cup Pop Stand die set and then cut a circle of cardstock to back it. Using the tabs cutting die from the Christmas tree set, I cut tabs on the embossed saucer to make the tree skirt. Next, I assembled the tree (an assembly video is on the link to die set below) and decorated it using fir branches from the Gemini fireplace accessories pack, ornaments from the Gemini Yuletide treasures die set, and candy canes and gingerbread men from Sara Davis’ Frosty Christmas die set. (The ornaments have glitter glue, Nuvo Drops and Aqua Shimmer on them.) The two star pieces are cut twice from recycled foil from an envelope liner. Once the tree was decorated, it was attached to its brown tree stand and then glued to the tree skirt tabs. Placement on card was based off where the furniture and tree would be when the card was closed. A portion of the tree skirt was trimmed to fit the card size.
Furniture: Using Karen Burniston’s Family Room Pop-up die set I altered the style of sofa and changed the chair into a table. I cut the base pop-up mechanism from clear acetate and made the chair arms lower by trimming some of the middle arm piece off and adhere the remaining sides together. Next, I embossed some blue cardstock with an embossing folder by Jennifer Ellory to create brocade fabric for the sofa. I used the sofa seat/back piece to cut the basic shape and then trimmed and added an additional sofa back piece cut from Olga Direktorenko’s Elegant Room sofa die. I made my own template for the brown base and legs of the sofa trying to mimic an empire style settee. A separate back sofa piece was also cut with the Elegant Room die. The Family Room die set has the cushions die and pop-out mechanism on the sofa seat. The tea table was created using the table die from the Elegant Room die set and a Spellbinder’s scalloped circle die for the tabletop. The plate was cut using Courtney Chilston’s Birthday Shadow box die set and the candy cane and gingerbread man were made as describe in the tree section above. Placement on card was based off where the furniture and tree would be when the card was closed.
Fireplace: Using a recycled greeting card back in an off-white, cut the fireplace out using the Gemini Fireplace Concept die set. Because the die is designed to pop-up from a folded card, I had to cut the fireplace out with tabs at the back edge of mantle and the floor of the fireplace. I I also cut the trim pieces from the same card back and glued the pieces in place after scoring the tab folds. I also cut a rectangular piece of black cardstock to become the back of the fireplace. Taping the bottom of the black back to the floor tab. I cut two brick pattern pieces from the Gemini Yuletide Treasures die set and then I glued them to the black back piece and created smoke and soot on the brick by rubbing a Tim Holtz Distress Crayon over the bricks. The fire and logs were cut from the Gemini Fireplace Accessories Pack. The flames were cut from cardstock that I had blended two colors of Spectrum Noir Sparkle Glitter Ink on, let dry and then cut. The logs and flames were glued together and then placed in fireplace with foam squares.
Wallcovering: The wallcovering was created using two embossing folders by Olga Direktorenko. The main piece with pillars and molding is the Elegant Room folder and the crown molding is from the Timeless Room folder. I masked the molding and rubbed Distress Ink over the wallpaper. The mirror (cut from recycle mirror card from a box) wreath, bows, holly and coal shuttle were also cut using the Fireplace Accessory Pack. The embossed “wings” on each side are from the Timeless Room embossing folder.
Door: The Front of the folded-up card is an elegant Italianate styled door. I used Olga Direktorenko’s entire Elegant Door die and embossing folder set. The windows are wax paper over pale yellow card stock and red marker. The door hardware is cut from gold foil cardstock and gold gel pen. The wreaths were cut from recycled boxes using lawn Fawn’s mini wreath die set.
Greeting: The greeting is on the front of the second folded-side of this tri-fold card. Merry Christmas is cut from recycled red foil envelop liner using a Card Deco Essentials die. The gold lacy background was cut from foil card using Spellbinders Charming Christmas Boughs die set. The greeting is offset to left to allow room for a personal message.
- Karen Burniston in Cahoots with Riley and Co. – 1099- Family Room Pop-up
- Karen Burniston in Cahoots with Riley and Co. – 1020- Christmas Tree Pop-up
- Elizabeth Craft Designs by Karen Burniston -1103- Cup Pop Stand – 6 Die Set
- Crafter’s Companion Signature Collection Winter Wonderland by Sara Davis – Frosty Christmas from Cardmaking & Papercrafts Issue 189
- Paper Discovery by Olga Direktorenko – Elegant Door Card Builder Die Set
- Paper Discovery by Olga Direktorenko – Elegant Room Builder Die Set
- Spellbinders Classic Scalloped Circles Small Nestabilities Die Set
- Sizzix 663581 Courtney Chilston’s Birthday Shadow Box
- Gemini by Crafter’s Companion – Create-A-Card – Fireplace – Concept Die
- Gemini by Crafter’s Companion – Create-A-Card – Fireplace – Accessories Pack
- Gemini by Crafter’s Companion – Create-A-Card – Yuletide Treasure – Die Set
- Sizzix 663581 Courtney Chilston’s Birthday Shadow Box
- Lawn Fawn Mini Wreath die set
- Card Deco Essentials Merry Christmas CDECD0003
- Spellbinders Charming Christmas Boughs die set.
- Paper Discovery by Olga Direktorenko – A6 Elegant Door
- Paper Discovery by Olga Direktorenko –A5 Timeless Room
- Paper Discovery by Olga Direktorenko –A5 Elegant Room
- Jennifer Ellory Make an Impression Embossing Folder and Stamp Set from Cardmaking & Papercraft issue 178
Stamps & Inks:
- Sakura Gelly Roll 08 Pen – White
- Sakura Gelly Roll Pen – Silver
- Sakura Gelly Roll Pen – Black
- Spectrum Noir Sparkle Glitter Ink – Log Fire
- Spectrum Noir Sparkle Glitter Ink – Candlelight
- Ranger Tim Holtz-Distress Ink – Abandoned Coral
- Hampton Art Mini Ink Pads – Contemporary
- Craftsmart Mini Ink Pads –
- Assorted lightweight/heavy weight cardstock from my stash
- Foiled paper from recycled greeting card envelopes
- Dura-Lar .0005 Clear Film acetate
- Wax Paper
- Nuvo Crystal Drops -Gloss-Blue Babe
- Nuvo Jewel Drops -Limoncello
- Nuvo Vintage Drops – Postbox Red
- Ranger – Tim Holtz Distress Crayon -Picket Fence
- Nuvo – Aqua Shimmer Pens – Glitter Gloss
- Red marker
- Impex Hi-Tack Glitter Glue – Red
- Cosmic Shimmer Acrylic Glue/PVA Glue
- Foam tape squares from my stash