Halloween can be spooky and fun. Using the new Halloween themed dies along with the new fireplace pop-up and extras sets in the August 2022 release by Karen Burniston, made making this card fun from start to finish.
(Watch the assembly video before starting your card.) The pop-up fireplace is a bit different from other fireplace pop-ups that cut directly into the card base. For this fireplace, the pop-up mechanism is a separate glue in piece that could be used with other covers than the fireplace. With two sets of fireplace and room decor accessories, making a cute room scene is a snap. The same die is used for the mantel and the heath. I cut them from brown and black cardstock respectively and used black ink on mantel to age it and a white shimmer watercolor crayon on the black hearth to similar slate. The white shimmer crayon was also used on the fireplace brick to highlight the embossed brick.
There are lots of great Halloween themed dies in this release. The large bat, skeleton, small pumpkins and bow tie cat are all from the Skeleton Bat set. (I cut the handles off the pumpkins and used one to make the bat smile.) The slim pattern plates were used on the front and back of the card. (I find that the weight of the front and back of the card need to be equal or the back heavier for the pop-up fireplace to work properly.) For the spiders and webs on the card front I used a pearlescent vellum. On the flurry of bats on the back, I used a white gel pen to dot eyes on all the bats.
To make the candles and clock on the mantel pop-up along with the planters, cat and skeleton on the floor stand up, I used the tiny pop-up strip from the fireplace set. When folded into a cube, the pop-up mechanism has a long side and a short side with allow you to have different dimensions for your objects on the mantel and floor. The Fireplace Extras 1 is Christmas themed. I used the candles from this set. Fireplace Extras 2 has more everyday items like the clock, planter, picture frames and fireplace fender or fence that I used. (I couldn’t resist putting some skeletons in the picture frames!)
If you notice the vellum spider web and dangling spider in the fireplace, they are from the previously released Halloween Scene set. I cut one of the dangling boots in the fireplace set down to use as a base to glue a piece of thread to and then the spider.
The card was made with a 5×7 inch kraft card base that fits into an A7 kraft envelope stamped with my favorite dancing skeleton.
Thank you for reading this blog post. Please like and leave comments 😊
- Karen Burniston in cahoots with Riley and Company – Fireplace Extras 2- 1212
- Karen Burniston in cahoots with Riley and Company – Fireplace Extras 1- 1211
- Karen Burniston in cahoots with Riley and Company – Fireplace Pop-Up – 1210
- Karen Burniston in cahoots with Riley and Company – Slim Pattern Plate – Bats – 1208
- Karen Burniston in cahoots with Riley and Company – Slim Pattern Plate – Spiders – 1207
- Karen Burniston in cahoots with Riley and Company – Skeleton Bat – 1206
- Karen Burniston in cahoots with Riley and Company – Happy Halloween – 1168
- Karen Burniston in cahoots with Riley and Company – Halloween Scene – 1014
- Karen Burniston in cahoots with Riley and Company – Halloween Elements – 1013
- Hot off the Press – Paper Pizazz – Heart Flourish Black – HOTP-10407
- Hot off the Press – Black Glitter Cardstock
- The Paper Studio – Everyday Kraft 12×12 paper pad
- American Crafts – 12×12 paper – 348962 (skeleton parts)
- Orange, brown, red, silver, black and white cardstock and clear vellum scraps
- Upcycled packaging – coated gray spackled cardstock
- Lawn Fawn – Pearlescent Vellum 8.5×11 – LF2088
- American Crafts – 5 x7 Kraft card & A7 envelope
Pens, Crayons, Inks & Coatings
- Sharpie – Permanent Marker – Ultra Fine Point – Black
- Sakura – Gelly Roll Pen– 08 -White
- Sakura – Gelly Roll Pen– 06 -Black
- Hello Hobby – Fineliner Pens – .04 mm tip – Red
- Recollections – Watercolor Crayons – White
- Ranger – Tim Holtz – Distress Ink – Vintage Photo and Black Soot
- Memento – Fade-Resistant Dye Ink – Tuxedo Black
- Nuvo – Aqua Shimmer – 882 – Glitter Glass