Spontaneous birthday parties are wonderful, especially pop-up ones. This card’s inspiration came from experimenting with cutting multiple square wave frames and playing with shadow boxes. Once I realized the square wave frames fit the Karen Burniston Frame Pull Pop-Up top square, I knew I had to create a mini pop-up version of Courtney Chilston’s Birthday Shadow Box card.
Having made the Frame Pull Pop-up card before, I studied my practice card to make sure I remembered the assembly. (You can access the assembly video at here.) I remembered her advice to keep the top square flexible and not over decorated with stiff layers and used papers rather than cardstock to lay the background of colorful wave frames. I made sure the top edge did not have any overhanging edges of the frames that would catch when the card popped open.
I had cut and assembled several sets of decorations from the Birthday Shadow Box card die set the last time I had made the card, so I only had to cut the cake and frosting and a circle for a plate from scrap cardstock in my stash. I found two shades of browns for the cake and used a white gel pen to added accents to the frosting. After gluing the cake together, I gently rounded the cake with my fingers to add depth to it as well as a Mini Dimensional foam dot to adhere it to the pop-up cube on the card. Double-sided red tape was used to attach the awning to the top of the pop-up.
Decorations for the inside of the card all came from the Birthday Shadow Box set. The sentiment banner is a strip of thin cardstock stamped and embossed using Stampin’ Up Blow Out the Candles stamp set, VersaMark Watermark Stamp Pad and Ranger Black Sparkle Embossing Powder. The balloons stamped on the envelope flap are also from the Blow Out the Candles set. The die cut words on the pop-up come from Karen Burniston Word-Set-2-Birthday.
- Karen Burniston in Cahoots with Riley and Co. 1070-Frame Pull Pop-Up
- Karen Burniston in Cahoots with Riley and Co. 1003-Word-Set-2-Birthday
- Oriental Trading Company’s Square Wave Cutting Die – 13829150
- Sizzix 663581 Courtney Chilston’s Birthday Shadow Box
- Stampin’ Up -Mini Dimensionals
- American Crafts’ Sticky Thumb Double-sided Super Sticky Red Tape
- Tombow Aqua Mono Liquid Glue
- VersaMark Watermark Stamp Pad
- Ranger Black Sparkle Embossing Powder
- White Gel Pen – Gelly Roll 08