It is the Karen Burniston Design Challenge for January 2023 featuring pop-ups using a rubber band!
For this New Year’s card, I featured Karen Burniston’s Surprise Cube Pop-Up in a slimline card.
For the pop-up cubes I watched the assembly video before starting. Because I used specialty printed cardstock and mirror cardstock all of which have slick finishes, I had to glue, clamp, wait for glue to dry before moving onto the next step. Double-sided tape ended up working better on these cardstocks. I decorated the sides while the main pieces were still flat.
I cut two sets of the numbers for “2023” from a scrap of matte gold paper. These were glued on the top and sides of the cubes once I had glued the cubes to the card base.
The card base is custom made from two pieces of the patterned specialty cardstock. The front piece is 4 x 8 3/4 inches while the back piece is 6 x 8 3/4 inches. The back piece is scored at 1/2 inch, 3/4 inch, 5 1/4 inches and 5 1/2 inches.
The front piece is glued under the back’s tab. When closed, the back piece’s front tab wraps over the front’s bottom edge. Two bands hold the card shut. Instructions to slide the bands off are on the back of the bands.
“Celebrate” is the front sentiment that hints at what’s to come when the card is opened. I used the largest of all the “Happy”s in Karen Burniston’s dies. It comes from the Happy Birthday die set. The champagne bottle comes from the Wine Charms set while the clicking champagne glasses are from the Wedding Charms set. The bubbly effects of the popping cork and from the glasses were made with a gold gel pen. Some holographic strands of tinsel finish off the decorations inside.
There is space behind the cubes to write a personal message and then place the loose tinsel strands over it.
Thank you for reading this blog post. Please like and leave comments 😊
- Karen Burniston in cahoots with Riley and Company – Surprise Cube Pop-Up – 1226
- Karen Burniston in cahoots with Riley and Company – Wedding Charms – 1218
- Karen Burniston in cahoots with Riley and Company – Wine Charms – 1073
- Karen Burniston in cahoots with Riley and Company – Celebrate – 1067
- Karen Burniston in cahoots with Riley and Company – Numbers – 1031
- Karen Burniston in cahoots with Riley and Company – Happy Birthday – 1030
- Hunkydory – A4 size – Adorable Scorable Pattern Pack – Heavy Cardstock- Festive Foils
- Tonic Studios – 8.5’x11” Craft Perfect Mirror Cardstock – Seafoam Green
- Joy Craft – Mirror Cardstock – Dark Green
- Yellow Cardstock
- Matte Gold Paper Scrap
- Neutral PH Adhesive by LINECO
- Fine-Tip Glue Bottle
- #8 Rubber Bands
- Die Cutting Machine
- Scoring Board and Tool
- Gold Gel Pen
- Green Adhesive Half Pearls
- Holographic Tinsel Garland
6 thoughts on “Celebrate a Poppin’ 2023!”
Love these boxes
So creative using the surprise cubes.
I LOVE your metallics! Perfect for New Year’s ! What a fun card and cool cubes! Here’s to 2023!
So fun and festive.
LikeLiked by 1 person
What a great idea. My mom has been in a nursing home for a number of years and I can just imagine how thrilled she would be to receive something like this….and I never thought about celebrating New Years. Great job!
These pop up cubes are one of my favorites. And I love the versatility whether they a re stacked or in a slimline.