A simple and clean stamped card is not my usual style so I added a pop-up mechanism to make Santa fly. The mechanism is Karen Burniston’s Spinner Square Pop-Up and the scene stamps are by Leane de Graaf.
Before assembling this card, I rewatched the two assembly videos Karen Burniston has made for the Spinner Square Pop-Up. Once I understood how to fold the mechanism, I folded it backwards from the video so that it would move its arm upwards instead of downwards.
I wanted a slimline card, so I cut a front panel with a ½ inch tab (9 x 3 ¾ inches) from heavy white cardstock. The back panel is 8 ½ x 3 ¾ inches also cut from heavy white cardstock. The inside panel that floats up is 7 ½ x 3 ¾ inches cut from light weight white cardstock. I die-cut the mechanism and its arm (3 ½ x 1 ¼ inches) from lightweight white cardstock. The stamping was completed before assembling the card.
Stamping the trees on the front and inner panels, required creating masking papers to cover the trees that were to be in front of the other trees. The back trees are the darker color and stamped after the front tree. A white pigment ink was used to stamp the snow onto the trees. The moon was stamped in Citrine with the crescent specks in Sunbeam. The “Winter Wonderland” sentiment is by Stampendous! while the inside “Magical Christmas Wishes” is by Sheena Douglass.
To assemble, the front tab was folded and glued on the back panel. Next, the pop-up mechanism was folded backwards and glued into the inside of the card. The arm was glued onto the square spinner as directed in the assembly video. With the card closed I positioned the fussy cut Santa’s sleigh and reindeer onto the arm top so that it would not be visible when the card was closed and played with the positioning before the glue set-up. Last to glue, is the inside stamped panel that hides the mechanism. It is glued on to the small raised platform on the mechanism.
The card fits into a #10 business envelope with the Sheena Douglass “Winter Wonderland” sentiment stamped on its back flap in black ink.
Thank you for reading. If you enjoyed this blog post, please like it and follow the blog. 😊
Stamps & Inks
- LeCrea Design by Leane de Graaf – Combi Stamps – Santa & Small Christmas Trees – 55.3707
- Winter Woodland by Sheena Douglass, Creative Stamping, issue 62, December 2018
- Winter Stags by Stampendous!, Creative Stamping, issue 90, December 2020
- Memento – Fade-Resistant Dye Ink Pad – Tuxedo Black
- Stampin’ Up – Stampin’ pad – Pear Pizzazz and Lemon Lime Twist
- Simon Says – Pawsitively Saturated Ink – Citrine and Sunbeam
- Simon Says – Premium Pigment Ink – White
- White Cardstock in both light weight and heavy weight
- Cream #10 Business Envelope