Each day for 12 days, I will be showing card variations made with Karen Burniston’s Christmas Tree Pop-up die. I recommend watching her assembly video before attempting to cut and assemble the pop-up tree.
For all of these cards I started with an A7 size card base (10 x 6 ½ inches), but because my die cutting machine can only accommodate 6-inch-wide pieces of paper, I had to trim the cards down to 10 x 6 inches.
Day 9 – Plaid Joy
My inspiration for this card was my working on a platform challenge card as well as needing a masculine card. I had just picked up Ms. Sparkle Camping paper pad and saw the two plaids used in the card. The green, white and blue plaid reminded me of how the snow often is in the weeks leading up to Christmas – kind of spotty with some grass picking through it.
The cover for the card is made up from extra pieces from the trees, the cardinal from the tree set, plastic confetti stars and a die-cut “Joy” from the Impression Obsession die “Joy to the World.”
The platform is something I had seen Karen Burniston do for a Halloween card and thought it would create a hill for the tree to stand on which the matched plaid paper helps camouflage in the photos. I cut two of the platforms from KB’s House & Fence Pop-up set and adhered the sides with the center pop-up together to make one large platform. Next, I placed the plaid paper where I wanted it to be on the base of the card and then played with placing the platform to make sure there was enough room for the tree to fold down inside the card when closed. Turning the platform upside-down onto the back of the plaid paper, I tracked the outline of the platform. Then I cut out the platform plaid paper and adhered it to the platform. Next, I flattened the platform to cut the tree-stand flaps into the center of the platform. I adhered the tree-stand to the platform before I attached the platform to the card base. (Before adhering the platform, I installed the plaid paper to the card base matching the plaids.)
The Merry Christmas and snow swirls come from an older Karen Burniston die set called Merry Christmas Pop-up. The holographic star and cardinal on the tree are in the Christmas tree set.
Follow the rest of the 12 Days of Christmas Trees with a new post tomorrow.
Click Here for video of all 12 trees
- Karen Burniston in cahoots with Riley and Company 1020 – Christmas Tree Pop-up
- Karen Burniston in cahoots with Riley and Company 1015 – House & Fence pop-up
- Karen Burniston Pop It Ups for Elizabeth Craft Designs – 1039-Merry Christmas Pop-up
- Impression Obsession Joy to the World DIE462-R
Stamps & Ink (on envelope)
- Studio 112 – Mini-Assortment -5 – Evergreen Trees
- Disney Vintage Micky Mouse & Friends A6 Stamp
- Stampin’ Up Classic Stamin’ Pad – Tranquil Tide
- Brazzill Thicket 12 x 12 inches embossed polka-dotted cardstock
- Sparkle & Co. Camping Paper Pad 6 x 6 inches
- Hot Off The Press – Gold Sparkles Holographic cardstock
- American Crafts’ Sticky Thumb Double-sided Super Sticky Red Tape
- Tombow Aqua Mono Liquid Glue
- ½ inch white double-sided tear tape
- Tombow Mono Permanent Adhesive Tape Runner